This set of Materials Science Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Tension and Compression Tests”.
1. Which type of load is applied in tensile testing?
a) Axial load
b) Shear load
c) Transverse load
d) Longitudinal load
2. Given the cross sectional are as 4 m2, what will be the gauge length?
a) 12.3 m
b) 13 m
c) 11.3 m
d) 12 m
3. Which of the following property cannot be determined by a tensile test?
a) Yield strain
b) Yield stress
c) Elastic limit
d) Limit of proportionality
4. Which of the following does not affect the value of ultimate tensile strength?
a) Quality of surface finish
b) Speed of testing
c) Dimensional accuracy of the specimen
d) Length of the specimen
5. The yield limit of compression and the tensile test can be different for the same material.
6. Which of the following factors do not affect the testing?
b) Increase in number of axes for application of load
7. Which of the following is used to elongation in the material?
d) Feeler gauge
8. An UTM can be used to conduct both tensile and compressive testing.