This set of Materials Science Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Stress and Strain”.
1. What is the unit for stress?
2. Strain is a dimensionless quantity.
3. Up to which point on the stress-strain curve is Hooke’s law valid?
a) Elastic limit
b) Yield point
c) Proportionality limit
d) Fracture point
4. Which of the following relation is stated by Hooke’s law?
a) Stress is directly proportional to strain
b) Stress is inversely proportional to strain
c) Stress is directly proportional to square of strain
d) Stress is inversely proportional to square of strain
5. Which of the following can be the value of Poisson’s ratio for an engineering structure?
6. Stress strain curve for cemented tungsten carbide is:
c) A curve
d) Straight line
7. Given the shear modulus(G) for aluminum as 2.4e+10 N/m2 and the shear strain is given as 6e-5. What is the value for shear stress?
a) 13.4e+5 N/m2
b) 14.4e+5 N/m2
c) 12.4e+5 N/m2
d) 13.4e-5 N/m2
8. If the Poisson’s ratio is given as 0.3 and the Young’s modulus is given to 7e10. What will be the value for shear modulus?
a) 2.69e10 N/m2
b) 3.00e10 N/m2
c) 2.59e10 N/m2
d) 2.72e10 N/m2
9. Greater the angle of inclination of the stress strain curve less is the elasticity.
10. Which of the following is found out by calculating the area under the stress strain graph?