This set of Avionics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Stellar Inertial Navigation Theory”.
1. Which of the following can be used to estimate the latitude in the northern hemisphere using the horizon as a reference?
a) North pole
b) Magnetic north
d) Orion’s belt
2. What is it called when the position is determined by angles between a star and an accurate time reference?
a) Position fix
b) Celestial fix
c) Sun fix
d) Horizontal fix
3. Which of the following are false with respect to stellar navigation?
a) Can be used in daylight and at night
b) Position and altitude can be measured
d) Cannot be jammed
4. Why is the inertial navigation system combined with celestial navigation system?
a) Correction of drift error
b) Deriving true north
c) Deriving magnetic north
d) Correction for weather effects
5. Which of the following is required to integrate stellar navigation and inertial navigation to get the best estimate navigation solution?
a) Kalman filter
b) Star fix
c) Celestial fix
d) Multisensor processing
6. The inertial LOS to any star is precisely given from _______
a) Star tracker
b) Star catalog
c) Air data computer
d) Celestial fix
7. The sensors that maintain a centered star image for celestial navigation is called as _________
a) Star fixer
b) Celestial fixer
c) Star tracker
d) Star searcher
8. The observability problems are greatly intensified if the telescope is rigidly mounted to the IMU.
9. The angular error is the angular difference between computed LOS and the physical star sensor LOS.