This set of Optical Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Receiver Structures”.
1. __________ compensates for distortion of the signal due to the combined transmitter, medium and receiver characteristics.
2. ____________ is also known as frequency-shaping filter.
3. How many circuits are present in an equivalent circuit for the digital optical fiber receiver?
4. The phase frequency response of the system should be ____________ in order to minimize inter-symbol interference.
5. How many amplifier configurations are frequently used in optional fiber communication receivers?
6. The high-impedance front-end amplifier provides a far greater bandwidth than the trans-impedance front-end.
7. Noise contributions from the sources should be minimized to maximize the receiver sensitivity.
8. How many receiver structures are used to obtain better receiver characteristics?
9. A high-impedance amplifier has an effective input resistance of 4MΩ. Find the maximum bandwidth that may be obtained without equalization if the total capacitance is 6 pF and total effective load resistance is 2MΩ.
a) 13.3 kHz
b) 14.2 kHz
c) 15.8 kHz
d) 13.9 kHz
10. The mean square thermal noise current in the trans-impedance configuration is _________ greater than that obtained with the high-input-impedance configuration.
11. The major advantage of the trans-impedance configuration over the high-impedance front end is ______________
a) Greater bandwidth
b) Less bandwidth
c) Greater dynamic range
d) Less dynamic range
12. A high-input-impedance amplifier has following parameters (Total effective load resistance = 2MΩ, Temperature = 300 K). Find the mean square thermal noise current per unit bandwidth for the high-impedance configuration.
13. The trans-impedance front end configuration operates as a __________ with negative feedback.
a) Current mode amplifier
b) Voltage amplifier