This set of Materials Science Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Heat Treatment of Steels”.
1. Which of the following processes will one use on hardened steel to reduce brittleness?
2. Which of the following material in the final structure of steel increases the strength of steel?
3. Which of the following alloying element can be used to deoxidize steels?
4. Which of the following is defined as the ability of the structure to transform into martensite?
5. Jominy end-quench test is used to determine the hardness of a material.
6. Which of the following is formed less when cooling rate is decreased?
b) Fine pearlite
7. Which of the following has the highest hardness number?
b) Tempered martensite
d) Fine pearlite
8. In a hardnability curve which of the following is true:
a) Hardness increases as distance from quenched end increases
b) Hardness decreases as distance from quenched end increases
c) Hardness increases as martensite decreases
d) Hardenability curve is a straight line
9. Hardness number decreases with an increase in carbon content in steel.
10. Which of the following statement is false?
a) Greater ratio of surface area to volume, more the hardening effect
b) Cooling is faster in water than oil
c) Spheres cool faster than irregular shaped objects
d) Precipitation hardening can also be called age hardening