This set of Avionics Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Gyroscopes – 1″.
1. What is the range of an order of angular rate magnitude that gyros used in military planes need?
2. Why are unfloated instruments with ball bearings not suitable for air navigation?
a) Weight restrictions
b) High drift rate
c) Low drift rate
d) Power restrictions
3. What is the purpose of a gyro in an inertial navigation system?
a) Space-stabilize the accelerometer
b) Angle of rotation
c) Measure rotation rate
d) Calculate velocity
4. Which of the following is false with respect to SDF floated gyros?
a) Wheel is floated at neutral buoyancy
b) Used in launch vehicles
c) Three gimbals are used
d) Magnetic pickoff used to sense rotation
5. The input, output and spin axes of a gyro are always perpendicular to each other.
6. What is the basic principle under which MEMS gyro work?
a) Sagnag effect
b) Coriolis effect
c) Angular momentum conservation
d) Mass conservation
7. Which of the following spinning wheel gyro has an accuracy of 0.001 deg/hr?
a) Floated TDF gyro
b) Electrostatically suspended TDF gyro
c) Floated SDF gyro
d) Unfloated ball bearing gyro
8. Which of the following is false with respect to spinning rotor gyros?
a) Mechanically complex
b) High probability of failure
c) Low run up time
d) High power consumption
9. Which part of the insects acts as gyros?
10. Gyros are used as feedback sensors in FBW.
11. Which of the following is false with respect to MEMS gyro?
a) Low failure rate
b) Low cost
c) High maintenance
d) Less power consumption