This set of Materials Science Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Fundamentals of Failure”.
1. Buckling in a column occurs in the material due to which of the following forces?
d) It doesn’t occur due to a force
2. Which of the following is not a factor affecting fracture?
a) Stress concentration
d) Speed of loading
3. Improper heat treatment can cause mechanical failure.
4. Which of the following is false?
a) Notch is a sudden change in section of a material
b) Stress concentration is produced due to notches
c) Notches change the stress applied to the body
d) Smaller the tip of the notch, less the increase in stress
5. At what temperature is steel ductile?
a) -10 °C
b) -5 °C
c) -3 °C
d) 4 °C
6. When hot water is poured into the cold glass, the glass may crack.
7. Is the speed of loading is increased then:
a) Chances of fracture increases
b) Chances of fracture decreases
c) Chances of fracture remain the same
d) Elasticity of the body increases
8. Which of the following decreases transition temperature in steel?
9. What is the relation between fracture toughness and thickness?
a) Fracture toughness decreases with increase in thickness
b) Fracture toughness increases with increase in thickness
c) Fracture toughness does not depend on the thickness
d) Fracture toughness increase linearly with an increase in thickness
10. Which of the following elements reduce fracture toughness in steel?