This set of Materials Science Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Fracture Mechanics”.
1. Which of the following is not a mode of application of force for crack propagation?
a) Opening mode
b) Sliding mode
c) Tearing mode
d) Rolling mode
2. Fractography is the study of surfaces of materials which are fractured
3. Which of the following part of mechanics deals with study of crack propagation?
a) Solid mechanics
b) Fluid mechanics
c) Applied mechanics
d) Fracture mechanics
4. What amount of actual stress would be needed to fracture bulk glass?
a) 10 MPa
b) 20 MPa
c) 100 MPa
d) 50 MPa
5. According to Griffith if f is stress at fracture and a is flaw length then which of the following is true?
6. What is the unit of G from Griffith’s energy criterion?
7. What amount of actual stress would be needed to fracture bulk glass?
a) 1000 MPa
b) 2000 MPa
c) 10000 MPa
d) 5000 MPa
8. Which of the following scientist proposed a modification to Griffith’s theory?
a) G. R. Irwin
b) Albert Einstein
c) Isaac Newton
d) There was no modification proposed.
9. For polymers close to glass transition temperature which of the following can be a value of G?
a) 1 J/m2
b) 900 J/m2
c) 1200 J/m2
d) 1400 J/m2
10. Fracture stress decreases as fiber diameter decreases.