This set of Optical Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “FET Pre – Amplifiers”.
1. FET device has extremely high input impedance greater than _________
a) 107 Ohms and less than 108
b) 106 Ohms and less than 107
c) 1014 Ohms
d) 1023 Ohms
2. The properties of a bipolar transistor are superior to the FET.
3. ____________ is the lowest noise amplifier device.
a) Silicon FET
4. Bipolar transistor is more useful amplifying device than FET at frequencies _____________
a) Above 1000 MHz
b) Equal to 1 MHz
c) Below 25 MHz
d) Above 25 MHz
5. Gallium arsenide MESFETs are advantageous than Silicon FETs.
6. PIN-FET hybrid receiver is designed for use at a transmission rate of _____________
a) 130 Mbits-1
b) 110 Mbits-1
c) 120 Mbits-1
d) 140 Mbits-1
7. High-performance microwave FETs are fabricated from ___________
c) Gallium arsenide
8. The PIN-FET hybrid receivers are a combination of ______________
a) Hybrid resistances and capacitances
b) Pin photodiode and low noise amplifier (GaAs MESFETs)
c) P-N photodiode and low noise amplifier (GaAs MESFETs)
d) Attenuator and low noise amplifier (GaAs MESFETs)
9. It is difficult to achieve higher transmission rates using conventional __________
a) Voltage amplifier
b) Waveguide Structures
c) PIN-FET or APD receivers
10. A silicon p-i-n photodiode utilized with the amplifier and the receiver is designed to accept data at a rate of ___________
b) 274 Mbits-1
11. Which receiver can be fabricated using PIN-FET hybrid approach?
a) Trans-impedance front end receiver
b) Gallium arsenide receiver
c) High-impedance front-end
d) Low-impedance front-end
12. What is usually required by FETs to optimize the figure of merit?
a) Attenuation of barrier
b) Matching with the depletion region
c) Dispersion of the gate region
d) Matching with the detector