This set of Materials Science Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Ductile Fracture”.
1. In ductile fracture, at what angle to the tensile axis does the crack propagate outwardly to the surface of the material?
2. At the point of necking which of the following is false?
a) Strain hardening occurs at this point
b) Cross sectional area increases
c) Cross sectional area decreases
d) Strength increases
3. Necking occurs in which of the following fractures?
a) Ductile fractures
b) Brittle fracture
d) It doesn’t occur during fracture
4. Ductile fracture happens after extensive plastic deformations.
5. After which point is necking observed?
a) Ultimate strength
b) Yield strength
c) Elastic point
d) Fracture point
6. Material subjected to only tensile force even during necking.
7. Which of the following cannot be a reason for ductile failure?
a) Error in design
b) Improper material
c) Improper manufacturing techniques
d) Unforeseen operating condition
8. What is the amount of strain in a stable neck is called?
a) Natural draw ratio
b) Forced draw ratio
c) Poisson’s ratio
d) Physical activity ratio